Here is information on some of the basic nutrients that we suggest for many of our neuropathy patients. The exception would be if one of the nutrients would interfere with or have a negative reaction with one of your medications. When each neuropathy patient begins care, I check their medication list against each of the nutrients to make sure they are safe to take. Or if you are considering taking some of these on your own, talk to your pharmacist first to make sure they are safe to take with your medications.
Key Supplements for Neuropathy Treatment
- Allithiamine is a form of B1, also known as thiamine, that is found in garlic. Natural B vitamins are water soluble. However nerves have a fatty covering that insulates them, just like the insulation on the wiring in your house or car. According to some, allithiamine is four times more potent than other forms of B1 so it enters nerves much more efficiently. We usually advise its use orally and topically. This supplement is used for only a limited time during your initial treatment to jump start the healing of your nerves.
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine has amazing multiple functions in the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord) and peripheral nervous system(all other nerves). Proven to help restoration of vibratory sensation (which is often lost in peripheral neuropathy), it fosters energy metabolism, mental alertness, and glucose and fat metabolism.
- CoQ10 and R-Lipoic Acid: help the Acetyl-L-Carnitine work more strongly. Together the R Lipoic Acid and CoQ10 help drive the Allithiamine into the nerves to heal them. They also clean up free radicals, (toxic chemicals that damage nerves and other body tissues). CoQ10 is needed for your body’s cells to produce the energy they need to run. Statin drugs for high cholesterol such as Lipotor and Simvastatin can block CoQ10 leading to nerve damage in some people. This is why anyone on a statin drug should be taking CoQ10 supplements.
R-lipoic acid is a natural form of the man-made alpha lipoic acid. R-lipoic acid keeps your cells healthy and helps your body recycle vitamins C and E. It readily crosses the blood brain barrier and to help keep your nerve cells healthy. And, R-Lipoic acid helps keep down inflammation as well. It has been used to treat diabetes and has been recommended as a “neuro-protective agent.” Because R-lipoic acid is the naturally occurring form found in mitochondria (the energy centers of cells) it offers substantially greater antioxidant and neuro-protective benefits at substantially lower doses than the synthetic forms of lipoic acid currently available.
- Vitamin D3: early studies suggest that Vitamin D deficiency plays a role in neuro-degeneration, and hundreds of other degenerative processes. Often people who live at our latitude are found to be low in Vitamin D.
- Marine Lipids (omega 3 fatty acid fish oils): provide general anti-inflammatory (EPA) and neuro-generative (DHA) effects. Omega 3 fatty acids are heart protective, and nerve protective. Your body needs omega 3 fatty acids to make the insulating coverings around your nerves. Your body also uses omega 3 fatty acids to make its own anti-inflammatory substances.
- Magnesium malate: magnesium is needed for your nerves to work correctly and for your muscles to relax. A magnesium supplement often can ease the restless legs or muscle cramping that can accompany neuropathy. The malate form of magnesium is less likely to cause loose bowels. Magnesium malate can help some people with fibromyalgia. It is also used to remove toxic heavy metals from the body that can cause neuropathy in some people. For example too much aluminum in your body (from antiperspirants and cookware) can cause damage to the central nervous system, loss of memory and dementia. Excessive exposure to lead can create severe impairment of neurological functions. Magnesium malate can bind to these metals and render them ineffective and help get them out of your body.
- We also highly suggest a high quality multivitamin/mineral supplement to cover all your bases because missing adequate amounts of any of your nutrients makes it harder for your body and nerves to heal. We use the Metabolic Support Formula that is specially formulated for use for our neuropathy patients.
Remember: before you take any supplement on your own, check with your pharmacist to make sure that it is safe to take with your medications.
How to continue the gains you have made in your treatment
If you have completed your 8 week clinical trial treatment and are on to your home treatments…. Remember to continue to take your supplements to continue your healing. These supplements are part of the key to your progress to clearing your neuropathy symptoms. Your body is using the supplements to build a stronger better nervous system. It takes time to grow healthy nerves.
We recommend getting your supplements through us because we buy from only high quality manufacturers.
However, if you get your supplements at a store or on-line, just be sure to get the correct dosage and a good quality supplement. Good quality supplements have the listing of GMP (good manufacturing process) on the label. Also read the inactive ingredients. If they have colorings with numbers and say lake after them, these are often coal tar colorings that are toxic to your nerves. There should be no talc, sodium lauryl sulfate, lactose or other tableting agents or fillers that you might react to.
For your convenience we stock the supplements you need here at the office. Simply call ahead to let us know which ones you need and we will set them aside for you.
While these supplements help, if you have other serious health issues, like diabetes or metabolic syndrome, you will progress faster if you work to control the underlying disease. If you need help with diet information to help balance your blood sugar, please call our office at 978-535-6155 to set up a nutritional consult.
Yours In Health,