Interesting health facts to know from medical journals, by the numbers.
1. 100%: Spinal stiffness was linked to organ pathology with nearly 100% accuracy based on sympathetic innervation (Medical Times, 1921). This means that a stuck segment of the spine can hurt internal organs supplied by nerves from that level.
2. 15 to 40%: The estimated incidence of chronic pain from whiplash injuries (Journal of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery, 2007). And, 95%: of patients with chronic whiplash pain who have failed medical and physical therapy can improve with chiropractic adjustments. (Injury, 1996)
3. 5X: Chiropractic spinal adjusting has been shown to be better than 5 times more effective than the NSAID pain drugs Celebrex and Vioxx in the treatment of chronic neck and low back pain. (Spine, 2003)
4.1,000: the number of Tylenol capsules in a lifetime that doubles the risk of end stage renal disease. (New England Journal of Medicine, 1994). Remember that lot of over the counter medications like cough syrups and cold remedies and such contain Tylenol (acetaminophen).
5. 106,000: Taking the correct drug for the correct diagnosis in the correct dose will kill about 106,000 Americans per year. This makes it the 4th most common cause of death in the U.S. (Journal of the American Medical Association, 1998). This past year the CDC rated medical care as now the 3rd most common cause of death in the US.
6. 66%: Those who took the highest amounts of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory pain drugs increased their risk of dementia, including Alzheimer’s dementia, by 66%. (Neurology, 2009)
Important Nutrition Trivia
7. 4: Glutamate and aspartame (MSG and Nutrisweet) can cause chronic pain sensitization (make it feel worse). And, removing them from the diet for 4 consecutive months can eliminate all chronic pain symptoms. (Annals of Pharmacotherapy, )
Other articles to read more on this subject here: https://fibroandpain.org/research-front/146-msg-and-aspartame-increase-fibromyalgia-symptoms
8. Largest: Potentially, the largest exposure of Americans to the neurotoxin, mercury is by consuming products containing high fructose corn syrup. (Environmental Health, 2009) (Some companies making high fructose corn syrup, now also called fructose, use mercury in the process that goes into the syrup.) Sodas, processed foods and baked goods most commonly contain high frucose corn syrup. You must read all your labels to avoid this ingredient). Read more here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/26/AR2009012601831.html
9. 59%: Percentage of patients suffering from chronic pain due to spinal degeneration, who can eliminate the need for pain drugs by consuming adequate levels of omega-3 essential fatty acids. (Surgical Neurology, 2006)
10. 75%: Supplementing with vitamin D3 has the potential to reduce cancer deaths in America by 75%. (Annals of Epidemiology, 2009)
These articles were compiled by Dr. Dan Murphy, DC and reproduced from his seminar Prolonging the Health Span, Strategies to Maintain Mental and Physical Function as We Age 2017.