Mid to low back pain is a common complaint with pregnancy, particularly in the last trimester. But, back pain medications should be avoided as much as possible when pregnant. So what do when you feel pain more and more with each day? What do you do to ease the pregnancy back pain and discomforts? Here are some choices….
Prepare and strengthen
When your abdomen gets bigger as the baby grows, your weight is carried by your spine and hips and legs in a different way than normal. Your feet toe out to give you more balance while you walk. Your increasing abdominal weight also pulls more on your spinal joints. It is not unusual for women’s mid to lower back to start to hurt leading to the common complaint of pregnancy back pain. One way to help yourself cope with this change is to strengthen the back muscles while you are in the planning stage before conception; or early in your pregnancy when core strengthening is easier. Stronger back muscles will take up some of the load and will ease strain on the spinal joints. Here is one way-
Good posture as well as proper support also helps.
- Sleeping on a supportive mattress on your sides with a pillow between your legs can help.
- As your abdomen enlarges a small wedge pillow under your abdomen may also be beneficial.
- Avoid prolonged sitting while working during the day. Set a timer to get up and stretch every half hour or so to ease back tension.
- Sit properly with both feet on the floor, and the back of the chair against your back.
- Avoid sitting with one leg curled under you as this tips your spine and stresses your spinal joints.
- When carrying things, try to balance the load between right and left if possible.
- Or, change the side you are carrying on from time to time so one side does not always do all the work.
- When working standing, such as when ironing, place one foot on a stool or box. This relieves pull on the lower back.
- And always avoid lying on sagging couches or mattresses whether you are pregnant or not.
Massage can lessen pregnancy back pain
A pregnancy massage helps tight and sore muscles. Check around for massage therapists who are trained in pregnancy massage.
Chiropractic Care for pregnancy back pain
Keep up your regular chiropractic adjustments. Chiropractic adjustments contribute to a healthy pregnancy in a number of ways. Optimally aligning the pelvic and spinal joints:
- Limits the stress on the joints
- Improves nerve flow from the spine to the uterus to encourage a healthier pregnancy
- Balances your muscles so they hurt less and are stronger.
- Wholistic chiropractic care can also help manage general aches and pains such as back pain, sciatica, and headaches without resorting to dangerous medications.
- Regular chiropractic care throughout a pregnancy has been shown to shorten labor time during delivery.
If you should need help with pregnancy back pain…
please give us a call at 978-535-6155 and ask for an appointment with Dr. Ellen. We have a special treatment table specifically for pregnant mom’s for their comfort that is especially appreciated in later trimesters. Taking action on these suggestions can make a big difference for pregnant mom’s comfort and how well you can stay away from pain drugs for the sake of your baby.