Do you get headaches more than once a year? How about once a month or once a week? If so, you may be a ‘headache person’ just as some people are ‘back pain people’. But you don’t need to be, you don’t need to have ‘ordinary headaches’. Because, even if your headaches are frequent, they are not normal or ‘ordinary’. As chiropractors, we help a lot of people suffering from headaches searching for headache relief. We do this by getting to the reason behind your headaches then helping you to attain a normal headache free life. And that is life without addictive drugs that make you groggy and cause excess weight gain. Here is some headache relief information that may help if you suffer frequent headaches.
Most headaches fall into two categories: musculoskeletal or “chemical”.
The musculoskeletal kind include causes such as:
- Tension and stress
- Poor posture
- Poor ergonomics such as bad work or home habits
- Jaw clenching
Headache relief treatment for musculoskeletal headaches includes:
- chiropractic adjustments to free stuck joints or align mis-aligned joints,
- muscle therapies to ease tense muscles
- Teaching proper ergonomics such as:
- not lying on a couch arm or several pillows which bends your head
- avoiding sitting with your head turned for long times,
- not staring down at your cell phone for prolonged times.
- Teaching exercises that improve posture imbalances that contribute to headaches such as the foundation training exercises https://www.foundationtraining.com
The “chemical” headaches are caused by such things as:
- food allergies
- dehydration (not drinking enough water)
- exposure to toxic chemicals
- hormonal imbalances
- lack of proper nutrients
- exposure to food additives that cause headaches such as
- aspartame, nutrasweet
- Food based sensitivities: the most common foods that cause headaches are: aged cheeses, chocolate, and sulfites ( a preservative in bologna, hot dogs, processed meats and some salad bars and some red wines).
Headache relief treatments for “chemical” headaches include:
- determining what foods might be triggering the headaches
- teaching how to read labels to avoid irritant additives
- offer supplementation such as magnesium to help balance minerals needed for proper muscle, nerve and blood flow function
- offering supplements to help your body clear toxic substances you were exposed to
- teaching you what common household chemicals can trigger headaches, such as cleaners, air fresheners and dryer sheets
Both the mechanical and toxic causes of headaches can cause your neck joints to misalign perpetuating a vicious cycle of recurring headaches. By correcting the spinal fixations and misalignments with chiropractic adjustments, then learning how to avoid the activity or foods or substances that caused the problem in the first place, you can break the headache cycle.
Why suffer any longer? For headache relief treatments call us today at 989-535-6155.